Tim and I did this the other night when we first talked about the idea of the AR Pokemon Go type type thing for Contour556 in 2022:
- We started with the hard boundary “Contour556”. I drew it and then said, in a ritualised fashion. “Contour556. This is a hard boundary because… we’re either in or out.”
- I drew ”device capability” with a dotted line. I said “This is a fuzzy boundary because… there are many devices and capabilities are changing all the time”
- Tim said “available time”. I drew it as a dotted line and said “This is a fuzzy boundary because we don’t know how much time we will have”
- I drew “deadline” as a solid line and said “This is a hard boundary because it’s a hard deadline in 2022”
- I drew “Canberra” as a dotted line and said “This is a fuzzy boundary because the theme of the artwork has to be about Canberra (Tim said ‘Does it??’)… but it’s very broadly interpreted by most people”
- I drew “AR” and said “This is a fuzzy boundary because there are so many different ARs - location, image marker, SLAM etc.
- I drew “Pandemic” and said “This is a fuzzy boundary because we don’t know what it will be like in 2022 but we need to account for many possibilities”
We then went into the centre and I explained my idea for Pokemon Go at Contour556 - how everyone knows Pokemon Go and we serious AR artists try to ignore it. But we can play with it instead. When I mentioned creatures Tim immediately started thinking about the modelling involved in making good characters. That led to a new boundary:
- I drew a dotted line and said “Modelling effort is a fuzzy boundary because we could have different sorts of characters - from Toy Story to 2D or particle clouds
That led to a discussion about different characters we could make. We came up with some interesting characters that would be easy to model:
- 2D aliens that live on a wall
- Particle clouds
- Low polygon creatures
- Existing models
I turned the dotted line into a hard line for “modelling effort“ and said “This is a harder boundary now because we’ve narrowed it down.”
I had the idea that refining the idea might be a process of hardening up boundaries. First i put in stickies for the things and people inside the area of possibility created by the boundaries:
We talked about it being on Instagram and I made the “device capability” a solid line and said “This is now a hard boundary because it’s whatever works on Instagram and nothing else”.
I added to the area of possibility:
We thought abut what other boundaries we could harden up:
- “Canberra” became a hard boundary because the creatures will be site-specific
- “AR” became a hard boundary because it’s now whatever works on Instagram
We started listing buildings and then added some to the area of possibility. We talked about the NSA being in charge of the land. I added a sticky for it and then we had to finish. I would have made that into a boundary if we hadn’t stopped.